BuroHappold Engineering is an international, integrated engineering consultancy operating in 23 locations worldwide, with over 50 partners and 1,800 employees including some of the world’s leading consulting engineers. For 40 years we’ve been building our reputation for delivering creative, value led building and city solutions for an ever changing world.
Our Global Leadership Team
The BuroHappold Principles
Most BuroHappold people would agree we have been a firm with values that have endured for more than 41 years. In changing times, we decided to confirm the priorities and articulation of our Principles. In May 2017 we took the unusual step of asking all 1,800 BuroHappold people for input. Using a mobile app, we exposed 15 ideas to get the conversation started. From an analysis of 500 of the most detailed responses we synthesised six Principles. Partners were delighted – whether young or those with a few grey hairs. The elevation of Wellbeing to a position of singular priority is especially relevant in a rapidly urbanising world, as is the linkage between technology and empathy.
1. We value human wellbeing, and are discontented with limitations. We commit to taking this as seriously for our people as our projects.
2. We are a diverse, one-firm culture. When we get it right, it sings. Internal barriers are always to be overcome through inclusivity.
3. We embrace mutual responsibility. It is easy to default to individual success. Teams need to share success and failure in the same way.
4. We are more than a business. We care about the legacy of our work. We have a responsibility of care as an employer and influencer in the shaping of the world.
5. Sustainability is intrinsic to the economic and social impact of our work. Going beyond compliance requires challenging preconceptions, taking extra steps.
6. It takes courage to create. Our culture fosters a dynamic between technology and empathy to gain deeper insight, unleash imagination, and manage risk.
If you live by these principles, roll up your sleeves and join us.
Our Future: Forward Integration
From the day the business was created BuroHappold has understood that great design starts with identifying and responding to the needs of the people that will use a space, place or building. The process that we call ‘Forward Integration’ is simply the next logical step in this approach – moving beyond the present to anticipate future requirements, and design them into today’s environments and structures.
What is forward integration?
Who does what?
BuroHappold is a Partnership. Partners are each legally able to “commit the firm”, a very different form of responsibility from even the most senior executives in a corporation.
• Our CEO, Roger Nickells, is elected by the Partners and is accountable for the strategy for the firm and its successful operation as a business.
• Our Senior Partner, Paul Rogers, is also elected by the Partners. His role is to look after the interests of Partners and staff, to ensure the relevance and vitality of the firm’s Culture and Principles.
• Our Chief Design and Technology Officer, Neil Billett, has a key board-level role steering our Design approach and challenging the why, what, and how we do it. Strengthening our agile Technology platform to support current and future relevant offers.
What our clients
say about us
At BuroHappold we take the care of our clients very seriously. We employ independent external consultants to conduct regular in-depth interviews with our clients to gauge how we are doing, recognise our strengths and weaknesses and understand how we can be better.
The word cloud below details some of the positive words and phrases our clients have used to describe us over the last seven years. The larger the word, the more frequently it has been attributed to our practice.