Transbay Transit Center
San Francisco, USA
The Transbay Transit Center provides over 45 million people each year with a convenient and efficient multimodal transport hub
To achieve our client’s ambitious sustainability goals, BuroHappold used a host of modeling programs such as fluid dynamics, thermal analysis and daylight modeling
We also installed an extensive ground coupled heating and cooling system to further reduce the Center’s carbon footprint, comprising circa 50,000 ft2 of pipework
Situated in downtown San Francisco, this multimodal transport hub provides a platform to bus, rail and light rail networks across the state, and will also serve as the terminus for the future California High Speed Rail Link. As well as these outstanding transport connections, the Center houses retail and entertainment facilities that include a beautiful 5.4 acre rooftop park.
A key challenge on this project came in delivering comprehensive yet highly energy efficient MEP engineering solutions across the five story main transit building. This was complicated because the building comprises one above grade bus level, a ground floor concourse and two below grade rail levels.
We responded with a strategy that uses automatic motorized windows across the upper and ground levels of the Center to supply as much natural ventilation as possible, while also regulating internal temperatures to achieve perfect conditions for 95 % of the year. For additional relief during the remaining 5%, comprising hot summer and chill winter days, we installed a peak lopping radiant floor heating and cooling system. In addition, fixed openings on the facade work alongside fans to provide natural ventilation throughout the building and extract the carbon monoxide fumes from bus exhausts.
Our design for the roof deck allows the grand hall to be lit throughout by natural light alone during the day time, with solar tubes then drawing this light down to achieve the same level of illumination on the bus deck below. We also devised a water management system that will store and reuse storm water, reducing potable water use throughout the Center by 50%.
Delivering a multi-modal transit hub that links bus, rail and light rail systems, as well as providing retail and entertainment facilities. Image: Pelli Clarke Pelli
We used a range of advanced computer modeling programs to identify high performing solutions that were in line with sustainability goals. Image: Pelli Clarke Pelli
Around 50,000 ft2 of pipe work was laid below ground to support our low carbon ground coupled heating and cooling system. Image: Pelli Clarke Pelli
Although 45 million people will pass through the new center each year, the final design reduces its carbon dioxide output by 36,000 tons. Image: Pelli Clarke Pelli
More about Transbay Transit Center
When we integrate our engineering specialisms around a core theme (we call these Service Offers), the benefits to the client multiply.