The only way is up
This project saw the restoration of an important historic building, as well as construction of additional high-end residential accommodation and a supporting supermarket in the sought-after neighbourhood of Prenzlauer Berg.
Designed by the famous architect Ludwig Hoffmann as a school, the original 1913-1914 building had been badly damaged during the Second World War. It was subsequently refurbished and has been used as a clinic ever since. The architect planned to extend this structure up by two storeys, retaining its current form and footprint but creating valuable additional lettable space. The uppermost floors of the newer extensions were then augmented with attractive terraces and balconied areas.
The architect’s vision posed a number of challenges for the BuroHappold team. Of particular difficulty was rendering the balconied areas, which at some points were required to cantilever 2.2 metres from the main building facade.
Our engineers responded with a design that used reinforced steel components that were incredibly strong but also slim, providing the necessary support for the massive balcony structures without compromising the traditional and new aesthetic of the building.
As part of this design, we devised an innovative way to connect the balconies to the facade of the building that minimised their contact with the external walls so as to thermally isolate them from the main building. This ensured thermal, air and moisture barrier systems were maintained so interior spaces would not be affected.
It is the ability of our engineers to think laterally, combined with our extensive expertise, which allowed us to develop highly specialised structural solutions for this project that added value to our client, without damaging the building’s original character and charm.
Services and approach
When we integrate our specialist teams around an approach, the benefits to the client multiply