Work experience at Buro Happold
Work experience is for students studying towards GCSE’s and A-levels (or equivalent) in the UK.
We offer a structured work experience programme. This ensures we give students the best experience possible, and utilise resources and space efficiently.
The one week programme will introduce young, aspiring students to our commercial environment – exposing them to all aspects, from engineering design projects to finance and marketing. Work experience is co-ordinated by our Young Engineers Forum and run over set weeks in the summer.
What we offer
We offer a structured one-week programme exposing students to a wide range of areas to give a true flavour of the type of work we deliver.
Throughout the week there will be a series of workshops that are aimed to not only give students an introduction to core engineering disciplines, but also across business services such as marketing and finance, this is to develop a wide understanding of our industry. We also include site visits to bring engineering to life!
At the end of the week the students are tasked with producing a concept design presentation for a current project. Our Young Engineers Forum take the lead with arranging the week, the YEF are a community group created from Buro Happold that consists of innovative engineers that support each other in terms of professional and personal development. Be prepared to have some fun!
How to apply
Please prepare a CV and covering letter and email them to our HR team between January and April. We’ll be reviewing applications on a first come first serve basis.
Your application must include a covering letter to be considered. Please answer the following questions in your cover letter and ensure that your CV and covering letter are a maximum of one page each:
• Why engineering and what has driven you to apply to our programme?
• Which engineering discipline excites you the most?
• Who’s your favourite engineer and why?
• Where do you see your career beginning?
• What makes you stand out from your peers?
Skills we’re looking for
• Passionate about Engineering and creating new concepts.
• A creative thinker who challenges the normal way of working.
• A sound communicator who enjoys working as part of a team, not afraid to discuss your ideas and way of thinking.
• A committed character who wants to take something away from the experience.
Please send your application to HROperations@burohappold.com for the attention of Thomas Gill.