People Centred Design and Operations of Buildings and Urban Realm – optimising design and operational planning by placing people at the heart of the process
By assessing, modelling and predicting the way in which people interact with buildings and spaces, we know how to get the most from the environments you want to change or create and we can contribute at every stage of the design process. Like we did for Sochi stadium.
How do you maximise footfall through your retail space, whether for a transit hub like Haramain High Speed Rail or London City Airport, a cultural centre like the Louvre Museum, Abu Dhabi or a shopping mall?
In an office, does the floor layout create the best environment for human interaction and promote wellbeing? How do you minimise congestion and safety risks at sporting events? How do you analyse, influence and enhance the experience of pedestrians using social media analytics and simple interventions (High Line)? The answer is SmartSpace.
At the core of our expertise is the ‘science of moving dots’, backed by decades of research, vast amounts of behaviour data, and sophisticated predictive modelling tools. We analyse the interaction between all moving and static entities – be it pedestrians, shoppers, vehicles, bags in airports or beds in hospitals… We use simulated, real, and real-time information about moving dots to remove conflicts and congestion points, help with placemaking, create opportunities for interactions and enhance footfalls.
Our smart space services:
- Spatial layout optioneering and optimization
- Visibility, wayfinding and accessibility analysis
- Retail footfall and revenue enhancement
- Operational efficiency improvement
- Pedestrian flow and interaction modelling (using SmartMove, Legion, etc)
- Process and logistics modelling
- Master planning and big data visualisation
- Dashboards for real-time performance monitoring (SmartViz)
Our process typically consists of four steps:
Measure > Model > Optioneer > Optimise
- Measure: For existing buildings and sites, we use a host of data sources, sensor network, and social media surveys to collect real-time or virtual environment data
- Model: We use human behaviour modelling techniques to analyse how people will respond to different designs and operational interventions
- Optioneer: We can run a large number of design options to discover the optimum solution
- Optimise: We hone the best scenario and adjust parameters for the best result
Informing business and operational decisions
Being better informed makes for better decisions. For example, by monitoring the people flow and use of rooms in a hospital we identified that many facilities were being used to just 28% capacity. This finding led to the introduction of improved planning and reorganisation to double the use of the existing facilities, which led to a £3m saving.
Quickly run many design options and operational interventions
Our proprietary simulation tools offer you early stage design optioneering and operational planning
- Rapid optioneering of a range of design and operational scenarios
- Integration with Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Interactive ‘what-if’ assessments with real-time feedback
- Integration with live operational and location based data in real-time
- Simple, intuitive, visual dashboards to visualise, model and interactively optimise design and operational strategies, engaging the non-technical stakeholders
“BuroHappold’s smart space methodology provided the objective tool to confirm how underutilised our spaces were. BuroHappold have worked hard to understand how the hospital works in practice, I believe this pioneering work at the RUH Bath should pave the way for major capital projects and estate strategies across the NHS.”
Howard Jones, Director of Estates, Royal United Hospital Bath
“BuroHappold’s people movement consultancy [on Thomas Deacon Academy] has been very good…most innovative”.
Darron Haylock, Partner, Foster+Partners
(The smart space team used optimum circulation design and clever use of class changeover strategy that saved significant costs and shortened the time between class changeovers)
“The BuroHappold smart space team were outstanding and vital to our success!”
Princess Reema Bandar Al-Saud, Saudi Arabia (via Twitter)
(Our work helped over 10,000 Saudi women break the Guinness World Record by forming a human chain for Breast Cancer awareness. The Smart Space team helped optimise the whole operational logistics from parking/drop-off and registration to exiting and the chain formation itself.)