In an increasingly globally competitive education landscape, the quality and design of your facilities can have a hugely positive impact on your institution’s academic reputation, staff and student satisfaction, brand positioning, and economic success
We’ve worked at over a hundred universities across the globe, including the world’s top ten, on a wide variety of award winning projects ranging from the stunning Forum at the University of Exeter, to the Yale University School of Management and the transformation of a 1960s brutalist masterpiece into the University of Cambridge’s David Attenborough Building.
Special insights, adding value
But also, at BuroHappold we undertake our own studies to investigate what users really want from their facilities and how this can be delivered. See The campus of the Future. This informs our design approach across a range of interventions which ultimately impact the financial and brand implications of each institution.
Well designed learning environments create vital differentiation. They can help to attract students and academics from a global pool, enhance learning and research, and make a university’s operation more efficient.
Optimise your building stock
From sports centres and lecture halls, to science labs and student facilities we are ideally placed to help you to get the best from your estate. We ensure that it delights, stimulates and enables learning, research and collaboration in a sustainable framework. With our broad based approach and capability, we are accustomed to dealing with projects of all types and scales, from heritage through to modern.
To see how we have positively impacted a number of learning environments, Download our interactive Education brochure.
Our Higher Education projects include:
- University of Edinburgh, Holyrood Post Graduate residences
- University of Sheffield Advanced Manufacturing Park
- Scottish Centre for Regenerative Medicine, University of Edinburgh
- University of Essex STEM building
- University of Cambridge Mill Lane masterplan
- University of Cambridge New Museums Site
- University of Warwick, Gibbet Hill campus masterplan
- Kuwait University Masterplan
- Olin Business School, Washington University in St. Louis
- Harvard University Allston Campus
- Bard College of Computation
- Rensslaer Experimental Media & Performing Arts Center, Rensslaer Polytechnic Institute
- University of Salford Faculty of Law
- University of Salford Student Village
- Downshire House, University of Roehampton
It is vital that children get the best start in life. High quality education is essential in stimulating their minds and allowing them to achieve their full potential as they grow
The best buildings can enable this, assisting with high achievement and attracting the teachers who can help to deliver a world class learning experience to their students.
From “getting the basics right”, with high quality ventilation, daylight, and simple controls, through to innovative designs, we bring our experience and skills from over a hundred school projects in the last decade to benefit the generations of tomorrow.
Tailoring to your needs
There are many school building types, ranging from publicly funded and procured new campuses through to private fee paying schools. These each have their own challenges and opportunities, with a variety of contexts, briefs, budgets, and client expectations. Our projects cover all required building types, bringing in our expertise from other sectors to support specialist facilities such as sports, science, vocational studies, and performing arts.
With projects spread across the world, we bring global expertise but with a local flavour.
Building performance means money
Reducing energy can result in significant savings in running costs, allowing additional investment in teaching and learning. With many schools having limited resource available to support building users in optimising operation of their environment, we aim to design buildings which are simple to operate and minimise unnecessary energy use. Along with this, our role as government advisors in providing high quality environments with low carbon performance recognises how we have helped our clients over many years by ensuring that they get the most from their facilities.
Making the most from your facilities
Many school buildings suffer from seemingly intractable problems which can often be solved simply.
Large numbers of people moving around in short periods can reduce teaching time and increase the risk of behavioural issues. Our specialist people flow modelling team can unlock these issues in new and existing buildings, ensuring that students can move between lessons efficiently and more pleasantly.
As education and learning evolve over the years, our Asset Management team can help you to review your existing estate from strategic and detailed perspectives.
- Hawaii Prep Academy
- Monkton Combe School Music Centre
- Telford College, Edinburgh
- Thomas Deacon Academy
- Bristol Brunel Academy
- Saudi Future Schools
- Hamilton Grange Teen Center
- Wiltshire College
Call on a breadth of specialist skills
We create teams with the broadest range of skills drawn from our international practice – from masterplanning to sustainability, from people flow to structural engineering. For each, we match global knowledge and experience with local delivery, working in collaboration with you as an extension of your team.
Why not talk to us about your vision for your campus or facilities?
Our services for Education sector:
- Feasibility and economic viability assessments
- Building design optioneering and collaboration with architects
- Environmental and sustainability assessments
- People flow projections and assessments
- Transport and traffic consultancy
- Structural, civil and ground engineering
- Building environmental and MEP engineering
and façade engineering
- Acoustics, lighting and inclusive design
- Fire, security and technology services
- Project management
- Post Occupancy Evaluation and operational advice