The newly refurbished Central Library in Liverpool opened to the public in May 2013. The library has undergone a stunning £50m renovation, including the restoration of the library’s 150 year old Grade II listed sections such as the facade and the Picton, Hornby and Oak reading rooms. A new repository has also been added, which now provides a home for a historically valuable archive of artefacts dating back over 800 years.
Lanchester Road Hospital, located in Durham on the former Earls House Hospital site, is a state-of-the-art new facility containing important adult mental health and learning disability services. Buro Happold, in conjunction with Bailer Garner and BAM Construction has delivered a thoughtful and sustainable design providing a safe, pleasant and therapeutic environment sympathetic to the needs of the staff and patients.
Buro Happold worked closely with the architect, the design team, Consort Healthcare and the Pinderfields and Pontefract Hospital Joint Venture (PPHJV) to ensure hospital facilities benefi ting from natural daylight, fresh air and outside views. Both hospitals have also been designed to accommodate the latest equipment and technology, and future-proofed with options for expanding departments built into the building services design. Pontefract has been fully open since 2009.
Buro Happold worked closely with the architect, the design team, Consort Healthcare and the Pinderfi elds and Pontefract Hospital Joint Venture (PPHJV) to ensure hospital facilities benefi ting from natural daylight, fresh air and outside views. Both hospitals have also been designed to accommodate the latest equipment and technology, and future-proofed with options for expanding departments built into the building services design. Pinderfields was handed over in December 2010.
Buro Happold has supported the Architectural Association Design and Make students and the Invisible Studio in the realisation of the new Caretaker's House. This exemplar timber framed building is supported on driven steel mini piles; the only non-timber elements of the structure. A green Douglas Fir frame supports a building envelope that is insulated to Passivhaus standards, with Passivhaus airtightness.
The new Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury opened its doors to the public on 4 October 2011, three years after construction started in 2008. The redevelopment of the Marlowe Theatre provides Canterbury with a new theatre complex to act as a hub for local, national and international productions. The redevelopment comprises a new 1200 seat auditorium and a second 150 seat studio theatre along with new front of house and technical areas.
Buro Happold was awarded the commission to undertake a feasibility study for the renovation of a listed tenement block in Edinburgh.
The Midlands Arts Centre (MAC) originally opened in 1962 and from its origins as an arts centre for young people in Birmingham it now provides access to the arts for all. About 10% of Birmingham’s population visit the MAC each year. The building originally comprised a mixture of independent buildings of differing architectural styles, built over a period of thirty years. The fundraising and concept design for updating this much-loved part of Birmingham’s cultural heritage was ten years in the making and the MAC re-opened its doors to the public in 2010.
From 1902 to 1998 Lots Road Power Station fuelled the London Underground. Now decommissioned, a new vision will see it turned into a sprawling dual-site residentially led development. Split by a creek across the boroughs of Hammersmith and Fulham and Kensington and Chelsea, the site will eventually provide 1,400,000ft2 of accommodation.